
Ok, so I'm subtracting Dooce from my links, because she's been so nasty lately. So everybody go check it out. Just kidding. In her place I'm going to try Opinionistas, an equally sarcastic, less well-balanced blogger big-shot who pretty much only writes about work, which she HATES. But it doesn't make you feel sorry for her. It just makes you think, "I never want to be a lawyer. Why would anyone want to be a lawyer?"
I'm really proud of myself this week for doing those 5 shifts in a row. I keep trying to slip the fact that I worked 60 hours this week into conversation, but so far no one's (Em!) impressed. I can't think of anyone to call and show off to, although I keep considering those who laugh at my lamer jokes, like Susan and a couple of the Pribyls.
***Lice Update***
No more bugs noted. Itchy if I think about it. Mild dandruff vs. egg cases?
Working off suggestions from multiple advisors, I found myself in Kroger's self-checkout aisle, buying some hastily selected nit combs after work on Thursday. I combed my hair out for an hour. I didn't find anything.
Maybe it was a boy louse.
Next step: dandruff shampoo.
P.S. Guys, I can't cut my hair off. Don't forget about the Q-Tip of '03. Or the Mushroom of '02. I'm going for Pocahontas, without the tan. Or fringe-y dress.
***
Today I wrote a big bad research paper that's been hanging over my head all semester. I feel relieved but gross since I did nothing else today. You know that stay-homey, never get all the way dressed for the day, hungry every 2 hours thing? That's what I did.
It's a review of 10 research articles. I did mine on Depo-Provera and whether it REALLY causes irreversible bone loss or if the black box warning was just a freak out.
I concluded that it was a freak out.
It's not the most interesting topic in the world to research, but I am so over picking out controversial abstinence education or post-abortion syndrome stuff and then searching around for 20 hours (in the actual library, because it's not available on the internet) to find the 3 current articles that exist on the subject. Actually I've only done controversial once that I can remember. But I usually pick stuff that I care about more.
For my next trick, I'm going to do a presentation Monday about letting women eat and drink in labor. I'm excited. Because at our hospital the rules are: sips and chips for everyone, unless they're on magnesium sulfate. Then all you get are ice chips. That's it. Hope you don't have a 3 day labor. I can't imagine doing something so draining without having eaten at least something small and non-barfy. One time I heard someone (can't remember who) explaining to a patient that she wasn't really hungry because she was getting IV fluids. Haven's friend who had twins checked out of the hospital to go eat and then came back when she was done.
Listen, what people need to do is not ask permission. Don't ask if you are allowed to have your 6 best friends in the room for the birth, because then the nurse has to say "hospital policy is 2." Don't ask if you are allowed to have coffee, which isn't actually clear. Don't ask if you are allowed to get out of bed, or take off your blood pressure cuff that's been going off every 15 minutes since you arrived even though all your readings are normal. Don't ask if you can rip your IV out...ok just kidding. The last night I was there, this non-epidural patient asked if she could get up to go poop. The nurse said no and "I don't want you to push your baby out on the toilet!" She was 1 cm/50%/-2 and barely contracting. But okay, this was a wacked-out nurse. She was
pretty unusual- like arguing with the midwife I was working with about when to give antibiotics, and telling really loud irrelevant stories to the patient at 2 am. Technically I think I am allowed to tell her to lay off but she would have made me pay for it. I guess I could have lured her away like, "Hey Z, come tell me more about your PMS, they're sleeping in there."So anyways, that's how I feel about it. :)
I like getting worked up about it.
I think my body's still on nights.
Even though I took a hangoveriffic Unisom.
She was a really nice last patient.

7 comments:
So Marie this is your favorite sister telling you if you have lice you do not have to come home i will be ok if you don't.by the way hopital romance??
Marie,
sorry I wasn't impressed. I was a horrible, story-topping jerk with my Cigna reference. 60 hours a week is incredibly unhealthy, and I hope you never do it again.
:)
Man, your posts are long. It's sort of intimidating to a chick on her lunch break.
Opinionistas, whatever, as long as Em Monty stays at the top.
BOO-YOW!
p.s. does it have to be extra virgin olive oil?
P.P.S. - was that poem at the end a Haiku?
I just have to comment on your Depo-Provera conclusion of the corresponding bone loss being a 'freak out'.
It's not. I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone the same way, but I took the shot for about 5 1/2 years and just learned a few months ago that it caused severe bone loss for me - I'm one step away from having osteoperosis.
I'm sure the Black Box Study will come under scrutiny, but I'm only 26 and eat plenty of soy and calcium-rich products, so the conclusion I reached with my doctor was that the depo-provera caused my bone density loss.
Just wanted to share my thoughts. :)
cg,
That really sucks, I'm sorry. I'm wondering now if the BB warning was more related to anecdotal stuff like yours than it was the research, like maybe a Pfizer guy's wife had significant bone loss on it.
How long have you been off the DMPA though? Because the research suggests that the bone loss on it is reversible within a couple of years of stopping the drug, similar to the bone loss occurring during lactation. So maybe it's not as bad as it seems for you.
Post a Comment