Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Permethrin 1%


Before I go to sleep for the day, I have a confession. 2 nights ago I had just finished combing out my hair after a shower, when I noticed a tiny BUG on my comb. A nefarious, louse-y looking one. Whatever, I don't share brushes! I don't get my hair braided on mission trip beaches! I haven't been trying on fancy hats at JC Penneys! Of course, immediately I started feeling itchy and looking for bugs and egg cases in my hair but I couldn't find any. I contemplated taking the bug upstairs to ask my roommate if it looked like lice to her, but we're almost friends by now, so...nah. Instead I decided to test the insect, by giving a strand of hair and seeing if it was able to cling to it and walk along, hoping that this would reveal its identity. Well folks, it was able to cling alright. He was a clinger. I flushed him. But then I thought, that was a really weird looking louse...maybe it was a crab!! What if I have pubic lice on my HEAD??? (Right, I wouldn't want my parasite to be in the wrong place or anything) I should have saved him so I could bring it to work and ask the nurses! Then I remembered that crabs pretty much have to be sexually transmitted, and are usually darker in color, so I abandoned that idea. I haven't found anymore bugs since then, so they're either incubating in the back of my head somewhere, or I was just having a big prissy freak out. I'll just...keep you all posted. The world needs to know. Funny that I'm saying all this right after advertising my rather lax hygiene rules in my last title post, huh?

While I'm confessing stuff, let me say to Em's Mom and my Mom and any other Moms who will think me pathetic that I have never read Pride & Prejudice, only seen the movie. But I've seen it a lot! And I even know about that part where their heads move in slow motion during the dance! And I feel like I really get it! But I do wonder what Mr. Collins would have looked like inside my head if I had imagined him first. I mean, did Jane Austen really mean him to have such greasy hair or is that an artistic liberty? Did Victorians even talk about grease?

So anyways. Last night was brilliant. I had a birth, number 12, with my favorite midwife, who let me do everything, and it was so fun.
My main goal last night was not to be such a wuss like I usually am, and make decisions on the spot without asking everyone if they think it's a good idea first. I'm also working on noticing stuff outside of just the woman's bottom and how effective her pushing is. I tend to be really focused and ignore other important things like, say, the fetal heart rate. :) Other stuff I'm trying to keep track of at the same time: how long she's been pushing, if her bladder's getting full and getting in the way, her energy level, the vibe of the room, and whether I'm encouraging her enough or if I've gotten too distracted to talk out loud. It's really hard to make my brain do all that at once, but it's fun too, because I can feel myself getting better at it and that is exciting. I'm glad I'm going to be a midwife. God's good to me.

New subject. Guys, thanks for all the fun comments, I really like getting them. It makes this a lot more fun than writing in my journal. But let's just get this straight, "Susan" is not our terribly smashing, muppet-loving, commercial-making Philadelphian camp counselor, so don't be deceived. This Susan is the homeschool enthusiast, forestry major, clinique bonus time, chicken-lover from FL who passed on her genes to me. Unfortunately, she doesn't see Keira Knightley's clear skankiness as frankly as the rest of us do, but at least she doesn't think Sarah Michelle Gellar would make a good Jane. That was my particularly rotten idea. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH lice? No No No. I want to hear about that hospital romance. Or do all you see are baby's fathers? Well they wouldn't be that appropriate. And the book doesn't have that head moving thing. Although the movie is GREAT. And it doesn't need to be made over. And other misc. things... Enjoying this.

emilie said...

See Marie, I told you that was my mom's solution (haircut). hee hee.

Haven't you ever wanted to go Liz Sands and cut your hair really short?

Yep. The current P&P is sufficient. The Jane could use an update, but everyone else is brilliant. Especially Caroline Bingley.

Marie said...

Mom: sorry about the hospital romance thing, that was just kidding. most of the ob residents are girls anyways. all the guys are married or weird and sleep-deprived, in an unfunny way.
Mrs. H: thanks that is really nice! and i will try the vinegar.
Em: is caroline bingley the black hair pointy nose girl?