Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Back to classes

Here's a picture of some pregnant belly dancers. There were 3 of them at our Annual Meeting (of all the midwives) in DC this summer--it was really funny.

This week I'm back in classes. My presentation went fine, and there were a lot of other interesting presentations too. It is fun to be with my classmates again, and sleep at night and be awake during the day. My hours this week are 9-4, so no shameless requests for schedule sympathy this time.

I've been studying a lot because I've got my oral exam on Thursday and my comprehensive exam on Friday, then I'm done with the semester! I've got a few weeks off. My plan is to spend the first one with Linda, the second one at home, and the third one moving. Then I come back to Nashville for a week of classes and to get my hands honored. Honoring of hands is a ceremony that we have before going off to Integration, the last semester of midwifery school. It's put on by our faculty and supposedly involves lots of handholding, feminist blessings (not praying!), music and crying. All the husbands & boyfriends get to come watch and feel awkward. I like that I am going into a profession that requires me to learn hand skills, but I'm sure this'll be interesting.

I think my brief flirtation with lice is over, so you can just go ahead and relax Christie.
Linda's coming the day after tomorrow! I can't wait. I've got so much I want to show her. I might actually pick her up from the airport too if she ever sends me her flight info.

Yesterday I went to the pet store and looked around at the rodents, birds, and fish. It was fun, but I didn't want any. The ferrets were all flopped out on their backs sleeping and looked dead. There was a little girl there picking out pet mice. Out of probably 20 white mice, she picked out 2 specific ones and put her fingers on the glass to keep track of where they were in the cage. It was cute. I would like to have a cat, but I need to wait until I'm not moving around as much, since having a cat limits your roommate and housing choices a lot. Sort of like being a smoker.
I should probably go back to sleep now.

No comments: