Monday, November 10, 2008

Everything is different

I'm sitting here sweating, while a lady named Stella Sandoval "dances off the inches" on my tv. I've gained 7 lbs this year. I don't care that much, but I figured maybe I should try to exercise a little. So today I got this stupid salsa DVD from the library, and only finished part of it. Oh well. Better than nothing, right? Anyways Kevin exercises like 5 times a week so that's part of it. What if we had to run away from a robber, and he ran faster so the robber catches me first? No way dude.

So I'm here in Nashville now, in my little house. It's starting to come together, although I still feel sort of weird in it. Like I'm camping or something, like I don't really live here. However being in town is awesome. The leaves on the trees are beautiful and I get to see Kevin most days after work. There are really good restaurants and stores nearby. Work is close--but not so close I can hear the ambulances--and I hear trains only about twice a week. I've got some old friends here that I've seen a few times already. I've been to an art show, heard a string quartet, eaten Thai food and Indian food, and shopped at Trader Joe's.

My job is good. I just started. The clinic is a little chaotic, and only about half the patients speak English. So in the last week I've seen Somalians, Sudanese, Kurds, Ethiopians, and Togolese. And a handful of Mexicans. So we are on the language line calling up interpreters a lot, which I'm hoping will help me grow more patient. Ha. But the patients are great, and the midwives have been really kind so far, even though I've needed a lot of help figuring out the electronic charting.

The hospital is fine too, but it is so different from Hamilton. It is huge, and parking is a chore, and finding my way around is complicated. Like I know I'm going to get it soon, but I'll never be able to tell anybody how I got to labor and delivery from the Basement W section of the Central Garage on the J elevator. I've gone a different way every time.

So I guess...I know I'm going to love it, but I'm learning so much every day, I'm kind of on overload. It's not that fun to ask >27 questions a day in order to do your job. Oh well. I've got 3 months of orientation, so I'll get it.

Last night I sang karaoke on Kevin's playstation 3 and I'm pretty sure he was totally impressed. I sang "Hey Ya" and "Toxic" and "Crash". Guess which one was the most embarrassing? Definitely the Outkast, but that's cause I was trying to do the dance too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to hear an update. Could you post your new address or send it to snlewin@gmail.com? Thanks
Nick

Unknown said...

love hearing about life settling in there. all i can picture is you and kanye... gold-digger. woot woot.