Saturday, September 17, 2005

Slug thoughts



Today I feel like trash so I'm flopping around watching Cool Hand Luke and eating puppy chow. Paul Newman is in that movie, did you ever know that? He's my favorite, even though I have to try really hard not to think about salad dressing when I watch him.

On a less embarrassing note, I was noticing this week that I still get a little nervous every time I get ready to go in a patient's room. I mean, I always look in the chart to see why the woman's there and get an idea in my head of what I'm going to do before I go in, but I guess I'm afraid that they'll ask me something I don't know.

Sometimes I'm even scared of the prenatal visits, which are the easiest of all and take like 20 minutes. Those pregnant ladies, especially the first-time moms, have a LOT of questions. Occasionally the husband will come too, with his own list of questions.

<---that's me. I usually like it when I walk in the room and she's sitting on the table with a 12 page "tentative birth plan" and list of things to ask, because I can usually tell them what they want to hear and have it actually be the truth. That's something I really like about midwifery. They'll ask, "how many of your patients do you cut episiotomies on?" And I get to say, "we only cut if the baby's really in trouble and has to be out right away, which is pretty unusual." But other times they'll ask me stuff like, "I heard I'm not supposed to be eating fish because of mercury levels--how much is safe?" or "Where's my scar going to be after I have a tubal ligation?" and I have to go ask someone. Both of those fall into the category of things-I-should-have-memorized-by-now. But I love those patients, the ones who are curious and freaked out at the same time, but still want to try having an unmedicated labor. It's really brave of them, I think. Sometimes if I have really bad cramps, I yell in my head, "I am SO getting an epidural when I have a baby!! It's going to be so much worse than this!" and then I feel guilty like I'm not a true midwife or some crap like that. :) That's why I don't mind if my patients decide to get them. Especially if they're the kind who ask me if it's going to get worse after every contraction, because then I have to say, "Yes definitely. But you can do it." Of course, I like it better when they don't--because it's more of a challenge for me (epidural patients usually sleep a lot, which means I get to sit around bored until the baby comes down) and because they are so proud of themselves afterwards.

This week I really enjoyed myself in the clinic, even though I had to look up a lot of stuff and felt like an idiot approximately 50% of the time. I'm excited about the births I'm going to get this semester--last semester, I didn't get to see the patients for their prenatal visits, so I didn't know them as well. This time I'm going to have an idea of where they are in life, what their family dynamics are, how they deal with pain, and what they want from the birth. I mean, I tried to get an idea of all those things with my patients this summer but it's hard, especially if it's one of those stop & drop moms who've had like 6 kids. :)

Anyways, enough of that. I saw a cute little lemon tree for sale at Home Depot the other day, but then Christian pointed out that we'd never seen a lemon tree growing around here before, so maybe it would just die. Does anybody know? Also, if I were to get it, would it take like 50 years before it would actually bear fruit? Because it's only 3 feet high, and obviously I don't want to help it grow to like 12 feet and then have to leave it here when I move again.

P.S. on Cool Hand Luke: maybe not as good as I originally thought. Right now there's some skank doing a Paris Hilton Hardee's commercial imitation, and its totally gross. If she turns out to be a romantic lead, I'm switching back to Jeopardy.

5 comments:

Peter G said...

Did you finish watching Cool Hand Luke? That skank part is definitely the low-point of the movie, although it's not totally gratuitous, in that it proves the same nihilistic amoralistic point as the rest of the movie. Cool Hand Luke is one of those movies that are supposed to be depressing. And it is! So why do we like it so much? 'Cuz Paul Newman is sooo cool!

emilie said...

woah, peter G, that picture of you is most distinguished.

Paul Newman is such a stud. I buy his salad dressing.

Marie said...

Actually no, I lost interest in the movie a little after the Paris Hilton part. Because then the other sweaty guys were all reminiscing about how her dress was about to rip, blah blah blah, and I was afraid that Paul was going to disappoint me by participating in that conversation. Should I have kept going?

Peter G said...

Yeah, you should have. Luke actually tells them all to shut up. He says, "quit beatin' it into the ground!" Speaking of Paul Newman, my dad rented The Hustler the other day so I finally watched that last night. It's a pretty cool movie - it could totally be a prequel to Cool Hand Luke.
Hey Em, you know who that picture is, right?

emilie said...

what the of course. Your hero and mine (and Zach's), Dr. J. Gresham Machen@yahoo.com.

I'm inspired to change my pic again. Cuz I have nothing else to do. :)

Marie - time to post..?