I'm moving back to Nashville. Those pictures are of my new place! And me at the Parthenon.
I haven't posted in awhile, partly because it felt like all I could think about was getting this job, and I wanted to keep my mouth shut until I knew for sure. My first interview was the day before I left for California. My second was 9-11.
Anyways, I've wanted to get another job/move to a better city for some time now, but with last year's break-up and the following traumatic holiday season, I didn't have the energy to look that hard. I was mostly just surviving. And you know, looking for a job is rough. Interviewing sucks. I'm not good at it; my professionalism gets mixed up with awkward squirts of what I'm really thinking, and it makes a confusing picture. I feel like I'm still learning how to be genuine and professional at the same time.
So the job. It is going to be great, I think. It is with the Vanderbilt Nurse-Midwifery practice. They already have 17 midwives on staff in two separate offices. I'm hired into the side that takes all the Medicaid and cash patients, which is what I'm used to. I am going to be the only midwife who speaks Spanish there, so they said they plan on loading up my schedule with all the Spanish-only patients. Which is great. I really want to keep up the Spanish I've learned here; it gets less awkward every day, and the patients seem to really appreciate it, even when my tenses are all screwed up. I'm also going to lead a Centering Pregnancy group in Spanish eventually. I don't actually know how to do that, in any language, right now- but they are going to send me to training at the end of this month. So I'm already going to be adding more skills.
And, I'm going to precept midwifery students, so I will be faculty at the School of Nursing! I'm excited about that.
The last great thing is, my schedule will be way better. I won't be on call as much, and when I am, I will be on call with another CNM at the same time. Yay! I'm going to get a life!
I am really looking forward to working with other midwives, and learning from them. I want to get a practice style of my own instead of just doing everything my boss wants me to do.
So I gave my boss notice last week, and it was terrifying, but he didn't say anything. Just "thanks for all your help around here." It's been pretty awkward at work ever since, particularly with the coworker who will be inheriting most of my office work. She's been pretty weird around me. I know they wanted more like 6 month's notice but honestly I don't know how I could ever have made that happen. So they got a month. It'll be okay.
Last weekend I drove up to Nashville and Kevin and I drove around looking for "For Rent" signs in neighborhoods that were cute. Or at least only minimally frightening. We found a house for me only a couple of minutes from the hospital, with hardwood floors and lots of sunny windows and a yard and a deck in the back. I think it'll be perfect, even though it has a stupid looking awning in the front. Maybe I'll plant stuff in my yard. Three weeks from today, I'll be moving there.
Today my roommate officially moved out, which was weird and sad. The apartment is real echo-y and I'm sitting on a cushion on the floor typing this, with boxes around me.
I'm hoping to get another roommate in Nashville; I don't really like living alone, and there are two bedrooms and bathrooms in my new place. I think I'll be able to find someone.
When I told Kevin the news, he was so excited. Our houses are going to be 3.6 miles apart, instead of 150. We might go for walks after dinner now on random nights, like Tuesdays, and it'll just be no big deal. :)
Okay some other news now:
Dawn had her baby on Friday, Brianna! She weighed 5# 1oz, was a few weeks early (as expected) and that's all I know so far. I know she's excited to be done, after being on bedrest forever.
Nicky had baby Sebastian on Wednesday of this week too. He was 8# 13oz and officially huge. I went to see her, and hung out with James and Steve and Callie at the hospital. He's a cutie. I forgot my camera. Nicky was tired and kept saying she was sorry for not being entertaining. Hard to tell who he looks like, sorta like the other ones. But he seemed like a good baby. James was running around getting into everything and playing with the incentive spirometer. He ended up blowing spit all over Callie with it at one point, so I'd say I was pretty well entertained.
Welp, tonight I'm meeting up with Larissa at the new Panera in town so i guess I'm done here. Not so long next time, guys. More pictures are up on Facebook. Also that's where my California vacation pictures are.

5 comments:
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Susan
excuse me, girl with so much news!! yeay for so much goodness. LOVE you and am so proud of you as you've walked this weird journey in Dalton. thrilled for all that awaits you in Nashvegas!
Hi there! Sorry to have dropped off the continent for a minute. We're so excited for you and the new job and moving to Nashville and a cute house and everything. Lots of really great things all at once. Praise God. Hey, did we send you our new blog link? If not, here it is: vowelsmatter.wordpress.com. We just put up pictures of our flat. Love you lots.
Jack
Great to hear more of an update and pictures- so cute. Sorry again I wasn't really there on Wednesday- must have been the morphine : ) I put some pictures up on my blog too.
Wow Marie, how did I miss this one? I love your wood floors! I want to come see them in person.
Post a Comment