Monday, September 04, 2006

sweating

Guys, I had a good time at Dawn's wedding, the dancing was fun even though participation wasn't great. We danced for like 2 or 3 hours, and then I went to sing karaoke with some people, with my hair still plasticked up and fancy. The karaoke was at a house. I've never been to a karaoke bar like in Lost in Translation.

I just got back this afternoon. Charleston is seven hours away! What? The last hour and the first hour were the longest. The first hour was so long because I figured out that I had 28 fifteen-minute segments of the trip to finish, so for awhile I was going, "all right! only 26 more of those to go!" That's not actually very encouraging.

So, when I walked into my apartment it felt a little thick, so I walked myself over to the thermostat and saw that it was set on 72 but the actual temperature was 87. It's just blowing out plain unconditioned air, and my cheeks are red. Outside it feels good but the mosquitoes are pretty bad. I called the maintenance guy and he came (!) but said it was the compressor and he couldn't fix it until tomorrow, and then he said no, I couldn't have a hotel room. It was worth a shot, though. There's a ceiling fan in my bedroom, so I'll be all right I hope...especially because I am so tired from this weekend. We were up late every night, and we couldn't sleep in.

On my birthday we had the wedding rehearsal in the morning, out on the beach sort of. I wore a dress. Then we had lunch and I got stuck downtown without a ride back to the hotel. Everyone wanted to walk around but I was trying to get back so I could go see my parents. I called to find out about the hotel shuttle, and they told me 12:30 on the corner of Meeting and East Bay streets, look for an unmarked white 15 passenger van. That was crappy because then I was walking up to every plain white van asking if they were going back to the Hilton. One guy said, no, but I'll give you a ride there....and by then it was 12:50. So I called the hotel back and they said, "what? No, there won't be a shuttle til 2:15." Anyways, what would you have done? Called a cab so you could PAY a strange man to take you back, or gone with this guy? He acted like he didn't feel like taking me, so I thought that was a good sign.

I told him it was my birthday. I'm not sure he believed me. He said I didn't look a day over twenty-one. I'm not actually old enough yet to enjoy that kind of comment. Maybe next year. He was a nice guy, from Boston, I think 28 or 29, worked as a maintenance guy for a taxi company. It was fine. I'll never do it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your birthday, former neighbor now a stranger! I really have no comment but am waking a grand blog tour and trying to leave a comment behind everywhere i go. Why?

emilie said...

you better not ever do that again.

Marie said...

april, you would've gone with him. it was hot out there.
brian--I'll be up there tomorrow night. you should stop by. or maybe I should.
em, I won't. certainly not.