Thursday, August 10, 2006

London Bridge



This is who I spent my last day off with. Nicky and James. I'm glad they're finally back from Washington.

Well so far today I've had 3 births. The doctor doesn't even put his gloves on anymore, he just stands there and watches me. I smell like latex. I did two repairs. The second one made me all sweaty and frustrated, and the patient asked me if it was my first time.

I joined Netflix again, because I was starting to go to the claustro-in-the-Kroger Blockbuster, and it's like $4.75 per movie there. Not that I'm becoming a slug that sits on the couch and watches movies every day. I'm still reading a lot and going to the wrong classes at the gym. They have these new things called BOSU balls there, that are like exercise balls chopped in half. You are supposed to step up on them and try to balance, etc. At one point we lined them all up and jumped from one to another while the instructor cheered, and that is when I felt ridiculous. This one instructor who I keep getting, the one who thinks 16 reps is an acceptable number of times to repeat an action, she always uses the same music. Her tape includes that song about "working at the car wash" and "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy." Fabulous.

The people who live across the street from me are cleaning out their car every other day now, like with a vacuum cleaner. I wonder what they spill in there.















I also hung out with these girls last week on my day off. We went to Olive Garden, because I like that place. The waiter had struggles with everything...bringing water (Laura's a camel), getting enough silverware, bringing the right food. These old roommate types are all going to be in a triathlon on Sunday! They didn't try very hard to talk me into participating, don't worry.

I still like my cats, even though they knock over my plants.
Today I tried to get my patient up out of bed so she could go to the bathroom and the nurse said that was not allowed, because she was on pitocin. I don't think that actually makes any sense. She was only like 6 cm, it's not like the baby was going to come out right then. Anyways the nurse said I would have to write an order if I wanted her out of bed. I didn't feel like making a big deal out of it today, but I will someday, that is so ridiculous.

Later I tried to feed one of my patients and that was vetoed as well, this time by the doctor. The reasoning behind that is, they might end up with an emergency cesarean and be under general anesthesia, and vomit up their stomach contents, then inhale them into their lungs. Then you could get a weird pneumonia and die.

Right. So next time you're hungry in labor, send your husband out for something and don't ask permission. I've said that stuff here before. I think 3 months into a job on temporary hospital privileges is probably too early to start throwing my weight around.

Well, Linda's coming back for more college in a few weeks! That's exciting, another person to hang out with. I don't feel very interesting lately. At night I dream about work, about being in situations where I neglect my responsibilities...like, my pager goes off, and I never hear it, or I've got a patient in labor, and I forget about her. Have I told you about the scrubs I wear? They have snaps. It's easy to get out of practice with snaps as an adult, so it's a good thing.

I got better books from the library this time, guys. I got a John Grisham, Amy Tan, Agatha Christie, and P.G. Wodehouse, who is my favorite.

Anyways, if you were to come visit me, I would make macaroni and cheese and we could sit here with my aggressive un-neutered cats and talk about all the people who are stuck in the airport in London.

3 comments:

emilie said...

wow, James is huge! Nicky looks like Vero in that picture.

hey guess what: Tami moved here!

emilie said...

Which Agatha Christie?

Anonymous said...

So save your pennies and get those cats neutered, before they start spraying. Don't you just LOVE pets.
Mom, who else...